I had a long, hopefully eloquent post typed out about what I'm feeling tonight.
I deleted it.
What I have to say, you can't say eloquently.
And no one would listen anyways.
No, this is one of those times when I have to be blunt... so I will.
We are failing.
I'm talking to you, adoption advocates. ALL of you.
I don't care what ministry you support.
I don't care what your philosophy on adoption is.
I don't care who or from where you've adopted, or even whether you've adopted at all.
I'm talking to ALL of you.
We are failing.
Around twelve years ago (you do the math), I learned the phrase, "United we stand, divided we fall."
We are falling.
We have divided, and divided, and divided ourselves so many times that there is no one left to band together to support families the way we should.
People are afraid to support this family or that family.
Because they use a different ministry.
Because they're friends with the wrong people.
Because they said something you didn't like.
So instead they gather with their friends and whisper about what this group or that group is doing wrong.
And the family is left with little or no support.
And the child waits longer.
And the Enemy rejoices.
I have to share something my mother told me (and actually, she had to tell me repeatedly before it sunk in) when I had essentially grown up.
You are NOT going to agree with everyone all the time. That doesn't mean they're not entitled to their opinion, or that you're not entitled to yours, or that either of you aren't entitled to voice them.
It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round.
Right now, we're letting these differences of opinion - over every little thing - divide us.
And we are falling.
And when we fall, the children fall with us.
I won't tell anyone not to have an opinion. It's your right to have an opinion. But when we start insisting that others share our opinions "or else", or when we villify anyone who disagrees with that opinion, we only hurt our own cause.
Voices go silent, for fear of being criticized.
Voices that were shouting for the children.
Our minds start to see things in terms of "us" and "them", diminishing the support systems we depend on to do good work.
It's okay to disagree!
In fact, it's great!
One of the first rules of research is to research your opposition. Find out what, if any value their arguments have. It is in feeling out all the possible points of view that we form our own - the one that is right for us.
You know what, it's even okay not to like someone, or even a group of someones. People aren't always going to get along.
But excluding or speaking ugly words about people who have the same basic goal as you do - to get kids home - can only hurt the cause we share.
Share your point of view. Let others share theirs. Let people make up their own minds.
Sure, you might feel like you're right. You might want to defend that opinion to the death.
But is it worth it, at risk of further dividing our already fractured community?
Is it worth it, when divided we fall?
I'll be brutally honest. Right now, I'm seeing a lot of behavior from adults - adults who call themselves Christians - that makes me sad. Behavior that I do not think is constructive to our goal, but rather destructive.
And lest anyone think I am directing this post at one particular group or faction, please know that is absolutely not my intention. This post is a culmination of feelings I've had for months now that I just couldn't hold in any longer. Yes, I am affiliated with certain organizations. This does not mean that I think that those who are affiliated with a different organization are wrong. We, of all people should know that different does not mean bad! Outside that affiliation, however, I do not belong to any faction except the one that wants to get kids home - and regardless of our affiliations, isn't that the one we all belong to?
I'm just a person who doesn't want to see us fall because we have divided ourselves.
I want to ask you all to think before you speak. Go ahead, voice your opinion. But your voice stops where another voice begins. We cannot, no matter how right we think we are, quash the rights of others to voice their opinions.
Remember, it was Jesus himself who said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
Oh! Sweetie I totally agree with you! You are wise beyond your years. (((HUGS)))
ReplyDeleteShouldn't we all be about advocating for the kids, any way, any shape, any form that may come in? Can't we just get the kids home?! Get the families HOME so they can worry less about looming debt and more about caring for these kids?
ReplyDeleteJesus LOVED. Period. He didn't love the disciples more because they followed Him, He didn't love the Pharisees less because they were too thick to get it, He simply LOVED. And that should be our first goal -- LOVE the orphans, LOVE the families rescuing the orphans, LOVE the groups and ministries that each have a different piece of the puzzle. We all have roles in this and we can only be more effective if we actually work together. Working together means allowing for change, allowing for suggestions from colleagues, allowing for respectful criticism, and by golly, LOVING each other and PRAYING for each other!
Good job Katie Beth.
Thank you!
ReplyDeleteTHANK YOU!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI agree, it is hard being ostracized because you support a particular group. I think an orphan needs a family no matter where, who, what! I am sorry you deleted your eloquent post. I looked at every single kid with DS in my advocacy group last night and I cried. I know only a fraction of them will ever get a family. It is just not fair.
ReplyDeleteWell said.
ReplyDeleteThanks Katie. As I posted somewhere else (and wasn't published), there is a big world out there with room for lots and lots of adoption organizations. Have an idea of how to build a better mousetrap, then by all means, GO TO IT, let's have several large, successful organizations and advocacy groups. Don't let jealousy of someone else's success (or perceived success) result in you trying to rip them apart. The more everybody "wins" the more kids are saved. Can we not see the forest from the trees?
ReplyDelete